log in to change your dishes, update your order or redeem rewards
Miraculous Caesar Salad
Yeah, you read that right. We cracked the perfect plant-based Caesar Salad.
How does one even go about making something like Caesar Salad vegan? If that’s what you were wondering, we’ve been there. The answer is a lot of dedication to the cause. We were determined to come up with a plant-based solution to this animal product-heavy classic and after days of testing, we have a winner! We swapped the anchovies and egg yolks for a trifecta of cashews, mustard and miso and fell in love with the result. It’s a creamy umami bomb which we paired with crunchy romaine lettuce, crisp oyster mushroom chick’n, and croutons. You’ll be making this one on repeat.
Caesar Dressings (serves 4):
½ cup cashews, soaked for 30 minutes
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp Dijon mustard
1 tsp white miso
2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
½ tsp lemon zest
1 tbsp nutritional yeast
¼ cup + 2 tbsp water
Salt and pepper
Oyster Mushroom Chick'n:
300 g oyster mushrooms
2 tbsp oil
¼ tsp salt
2 large romaine hearts, washed and chopped
Croutons (recipe here)
Vegan parmesan (optional)
To make the Caesar Dressing:
- To a blender, add all of the dressing ingredients: cashews, olive oil, dijon mustard, white miso, lemon juice, lemon zest, nutritional yeast, and water. Blend on high for 1-2 minutes, until velvety. Taste for salt and pepper. Add 1-2 extra tbsp of water to reach your preferred dressing consistency, we like ours on the creamy side, but feel free to thin out.
- Store refrigerated in an airtight container for up to 1 week.
To make the Oyster Mushroom Chick’n:
- Heat oil in a pan on medium-high heat. Tear the mushrooms into the pan, and coat to stir with oil. Let cook untouched for 2-3 minutes, until golden on the heat-facing side. Turn them over, and continue to let them cook untouched for another 2-3 minutes. Move them as little as possible as this is what ensures crisp, and not soggy mushrooms.
- Add salt right at the end, and remove from heat.
- Wash the romaine hearts and tear them up to large chunks into a large bowl. Add the cooked mushrooms, croutons, vegan parmesan shavings (if using) and the caesar dressing. Use your hands to mix it all up. Serve with extra croutons.