log in to change your dishes, update your order or redeem rewards
9 Tips to Help You Eat More Plants
#1 Take it easy. You don't have to go all the way
Plants are finally stealing the culinary spotlight.
Forget soggy, limp carrots and lumpy mash, it’s 2018 and veggies have had a serious upgrade. From Glazed Jackfruit Curries, to Kimchi Sliders, Dosa Waffles and Harissa-scorched Aubergine steaks. It’s indulgent flavours, served with stealth health and a more considered impact on our natural environment.
You can find reasons to up your dosage of plant power here, here, here and easy to follow recipes from Gaz Oakley, the Bosh Boys, Minimalist Baker, Rita Serano or Livia’s Kitchen if you’re in search of a sweet treat.
But here are the 9 things people “forget” to tell you:
- You can still make your favourites. There’s a hack to every recipe. I’ve always loved a rich bolognese sauce to top a bowl of spaghetti. When making an allplants ragu, remember the flavour is all in the rich sauce, so use your favourite recipe, swapping the meat for a blend of 50% crushed walnuts, 25% diced carrot, 25% diced courgette.This small tweak will give a delicious, indulgent blend of crunch and chew, while delivering way beyond your protein needs.
Photo Credit: Spaghetti Bolognese by @thehungrywarrior
- Experiment experiment experiment. From spices, to grains, legumes, fruits, vegetables and nuts, there are 400,000 plant species and probably about 8 meat or fish you regularly eat. Put aside your meat and 2 veg for endless, limitless experimentation. Our best dishes use ingredients like Kimchi, Jackfruit and Bamboo!
- Don’t sacrifice on cream. Making a creamy sauce from all plants is easy. Grab your nutribullet. Throw in 2 cups of cashews, 1 cup of water, the juice of half a lemon, 2 cloves a garlic, a sprinkle of salt and whizz. If you have some nooch handy, add 2 teaspoons. You’ll be salivating in no time.
Photo Credit: healthyblenderrecipes.com
- Use nooch. Nooch aka nutritional yeast is an all natural way of bringing nutty, cheesy savoury flavour to any sauce, soup or salad. A little goes a long way, so don’t overdo it when adding your first sprinkles. It’s also loaded with protein.
- Buy a MagiMix. A nutribullet is phase one, but from cakes to sauces, batters and pastes, your life will be made 120x faster and easier if you own a magimix. That’s just science.
- When your friends want to go for a burger you can do 1 of 3 things. Complain, suggest elsewhere or judo-the-menu, I always prefer the latter. Every restaurant - burger shack or not - can make an all plants dish. Rather than telling the waiter you’re vegan, challenge the kitchen to make something from nothing but plants, without the sacrifice on flavour. They’ll know what to do.
This is an all plant-based, Superiority Burger. Photo Credit: Konstantin Sergeyev
When your colleagues offer you a biscuit don’t be afraid to have one. It’s your call but if you have a pang, there’s no reason to be too hard on yourself. Once you’re habits are set, you’ll probably keep a backup of Ombars in your drawer. No brainer.
When your family “forget” you’ve changed your diet just smile and eat the veg. They probably think you’re just being difficult, but will learn to respect your decision and as they get more interested in your reasons... They’ll provide the goods.
If you find yourself feeling tired, eat more! Not many people realise, but - dependent on what you eat - you tend to need to need a lot more or bigger feeds during the day. That’s usually because the nutrition isn’t as densely packed as it can be in meat or dish… but it’s a lot cleaner and you’ll soon find yourself full of energy.